Thursday, November 03, 2011

What is an "intercessor"?

How does Scripture define it? 
What did Jesus, Peter, Paul, John, James, and Jude teach about being an "intercessor"? 


What has the Church historically (since the beginning) taught about it?


What did Justin, Ireneus, John Chrysostom, Maximilian, Gregory of Nissa teach about "being an intercessor"?

Here is the one verse I could find that mentions "intercessor".

Isa 59:16



He saw that there was no man, And wondered that there was no intercessor; Therefore His own arm brought salvation for Him; And His own righteousness, it sustained Him.

and "intercede"

Exd 8:9

And Moses said to Pharaoh, "Accept the honor of saying when I shall intercede for you, for your servants, and for your people, to destroy the frogs from you and your houses, that they may remain in the river only."

Exd 8:28

So Pharaoh said, "I will let you go, that you may sacrifice to the LORD your God in the wilderness; only you shall not go very far away. Intercede for me."

1Sa 2:25

"If one man sins against another, God will judge him. But if a man sins against the LORD, who will intercede for him?" Nevertheless they did not heed the voice of their father, because the LORD desired to kill them.

Jer 15:11

The LORD said: "Surely it will be well with your remnant; Surely I will cause the enemy to intercede with you In the time of adversity and in the time of affliction.


---
Jesus is our perfect intercessor, interceeding for us night and day. I do have a book entitled Behind the Veil, there it was explained very well what is this calling and it falls under the prophetic office. It says, some people are called to pray more than the others, just as some people are called to evangelize or preach more than the other. It's just, that but some people make a big deal out of it and form groups and abuse the title and become prideful. Real intercessors called by God are usually hidden. They don't sound more spiritual than the others..Moses is an intercessor. But I also agree that all of us are called to pray.


-----
I used to suffer from mild case of manic-dep or so I thought ask the point of view of a deliverance minister they will tell you, you have a demon...but then a pastor explained to me about this gifting God is giving me..that each time I would feel a heavy burden in my chest..I should asked the Lord who He wants me to pray for...and he used the term "intercessor". Jesus is always interceeding for us so we should become like him....interceeding for others.



 ------------------------ BibelSvar: Posts A - Z -------------------------

  

1 comment:

  1. WALK WHAT GOD'S ASSIGNED FOR YOU!
    Isaiah 43:7-10

    Ezekiel 22:30 say's;
    "And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none."
    (Read Ezekiel 22:17-30).
    What is meant by standing in the gap? It means to intercede for. When you intercede, you are actually putting yourself between the person you are praying for, and whatever the enemy is trying to do to them. You will often find, that the enemy will try and come against you personally, to stop you from interceding.
    Often God is looking for someone to intercede, so that He does not have to allow judgment to fall. We too often want judgment to fall, to prove that we heard from the Lord, or to show sinful people what’s good for them, and that they should of listened to us. When God told Jeremiah to stop praying for Israel, Jeremiah then began to pray to God for mercy for His people. We can speak truth, while yet standing in the gap for someone or something.

    ReplyDelete