The 9 Gifts Compared to
the 9 Fruits
So many today seek the Gifts without first acquiring the Fruit in their life. We must have the Fruit of the Spirit at work, if we want God to entrust us with the Gifts of the Spirit.
--------------- Gifts of the Spirit (1 Corinthians 12) --------------------
1. Word of Wisdom
2. Word of Knowledge
5. Working of Miracles
7. Discerning of Spirits
8. Different Kinds of Tongues
9. Interpretation of Tongues
--------------- Fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23 ) --------------------
9. Self Control
- 1 The Word of Wisdom supernaturally discloses the mind, purpose, and the way of God as applied to a specific situation. If we have the Wisdom of God, then we must have Love, for God is Love. If you search for the first gift of the Spirit, you must possess the first fruit of the Spirit.
- 2 The Word of Knowledge is a supernatural revelation of information about a specific thing and has to do with an immediate need. Jesus gave instruction to His disciples so His Joy would remain in them and be full. A Word of Knowledge will always be received with Joy from His disciples, so we must first strive to have the fruit of Joy in our lives.
- 3 Faith is a special outpouring of supernatural Faith for release of a miracle. Even a small amount of Faith in our Father will bring Peace into our lives. If we have the Peace that passes all understanding then we will be ready for the Gift of Faith when the need arises. So seek first to have the fruit of the Spirit: Peace.
- 4 Healings are those Healings that God performs supernaturally. If we are Long suffering, then we have learned to be content in any situation as Paul was. He learned that in his weakness, Jesus strength was made perfect. So if we can learn to be Long suffering in all, then we will be able to accept the supernatural Healing God has for us. Faith produces miracles, but miracles do not necessarily produce faith, unless we know how to rejoice in any situation. That we do not look for the Healing, but for the relationship with God that will bring about the Healing.
- 5 Working of Miracles is a manifestation of Divine power to perform something that could not be done naturally. Jesus performed many Miracles because He had compassion on the crowds and acted with Kindness. Without the Fruit of Kindness, we would not be able to use the Gift how God would want us to.
- 6 Prophecy is a supernatural disclosure, a sudden Spirit inspired insight that brings exhortation to the body of Christ. Goodness means to have decency, generosity, righteousness. To exhort and edify the body of Christ we must first possess the virtues and values which are synonymous with Goodness.
- 7 Discerning of Spirits is to detect the true spirit behind the acts and manifestations taking place around us. It is used to further build Faithfulness on our Lord and Savior. The fruit of Faithfulness is the foundation for being true only to our Lord, and the acts of the Holy Spirit. We may then seek the gift of Discerning of Spirits to further our perception of the workings of the true Spirit of God.
- 8 Different kinds of Tongues is praying or singing in a supernatural or heavenly language which has a specific message associated with it. James tells us about the things from above, that they are pure, peaceful, and Gentle. How can we seek the Gift which will deliver a message to God’s people if we first do not seek fruit of His likeness.
- 9 Interpretation of tongues is translating the message of tongues so that the heavenly message may be given. Would you trust someone translating for you that put their own thoughts and words into your message. You would want someone of great Self Control to be true and accurate. How much more would our Father want someone of Self Control to translate His holy message to His people.